tattoos

Friday, May 28, 2010

Project Mulch

I was looking at a large flower bed by my house and was dismayed to see the sad state of affairs it had fallen into.



Bailey agreed to supervise if I would do the actual work of cleaning up this awful mess.



The first thing to do was to rip off all the old mulch and the underlying weed guard fabric.



Then I dug out all the existing perennials except the peony bush. The flowers I dug out went to a holding area in my garden until I decide where to put them.



Once all the old vegetation and fabric was cleared away, I used my roto tiller to smooth out the ground before laying the weed guard fabric on.



The weed guard fabric is rolled out and cut. Pins that look like large staples are used to keep the fabric in place.



I started putting the red cedar mulch down before the fabric was all laid since you can get to it easier and I wanted to have the mulch keep the fabric down.



It takes a lot of mulch to cover an area this size. My truck holds about 2 cubic yards - which is quite a bit.



When it is done it looks much better than it did!



Sometimes just a little work can make a big difference.



Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger