tattoos

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Prairie School Architecture

Every day when I drive to work I drive by a new police station. It is an excellent example of Prairie School architecture.



I don't know much about architecture. I am just one of those "I know what I like when I see it" people. This design style is characterized by large windows and often uses flat roofs and overhangs.



From what I understand, the idea is to create large, open living spaces. Thus the big windows and minimal use of walls.



I've always liked big windows. The idea of being able to sit inside yet feel like you are part of the outdoors is appealing to me.



Often I image such design in black and white. I'm not sure why. But I do.



This is a famous house in Pennsylvania known as Fallingwater. It was built in 1936 and designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.



I have lived on the prairie all my life. Some people find beauty in mountains. Others in the ocean. But for me I love the prairie and its openness. And I like this style of architecture a lot.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger