tattoos

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Joni Mitchell

Watching the Opening Ceremonies Friday night I was transfixed when I heard Joni Mitchell sing her contemporary version of Both Sides Now. I remember when the original came out in the late 1960s. The mature rendition is better.



There is no musical artist who captures the essence of my soul more than Joni Mitchell. As a young person she sang what I was thinking. Every other group and artist was a distant second to Joni Mitchell.



I had her albums and if a record could ever be worn out, I wore hers out.



Joni Mitchell was the face of the 60s.



When you saw Joni Mitchell you saw us. We were young and idealistic and rebellious and wanted peace. We were confused and angry and afraid.



Growing older most of us gave in and found jobs, conformed, went to work, got mortgages, made car payments and mowed lawns. But Joni Mitchell was always there. For me, she was the sound of my conscience.



But of all the songs she wrote and performed, Both Sides Now is my favorite. It is truly the story of my life, such as it is.

I've looked at life from both sides now,
From win and lose, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall.
I really don't know life at all.


Take 7 minutes out of your life and listen to magic ... and perhaps a bit of your conscience, too.



Thanks for stopping by .... and remember -- make love, not war.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger