tattoos

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

THE BATTLE OF AYAM PENYET!

The first time I sank my teeth on this dish, it was in 2007 - 2008. During that time, it wasn't that popular in Kuching. I tried it at Rasa Rasa Cafe at Simpang Tiga and why did I try it at the first place? Because I read it in MyIndo.com, and during that time I was so into that website. This particular dish is originated from the Javanese in Indonesia. Anything that sounds and smells like Indonesian is an obsession for me haha!

From Rasa Rasa, I moved to Kpg. No. 2???? Kpg. Bintangor? whatever it is, I had it in front of the new Dormani Hotel in Kuching last few weeks. Yes, I had it also last weekend at Haniis Bistro and yesterday, I went to Kwali Kitchen to try their version of Ayam Penyet.

Well, here I would like to judge from my own tongue to my fingertips of my experience indulging this simple and humble dish. Let us start from:

1. RASA RASA CAFE - no picture attached
Rice : just regular nasi putih
Sambal : sambel tomat! (tomato sambal) Very spicy.... 3 stars
Chicken : quite small
Veggies : so so. Just cucumber slices and cabbage.
Presentation : hmmm.. they put everything in a clay-made bowl except the rice.


2. In front of DORMANI HOTEL - no pic attached.
Rice : just regular nasi putih, quite dry
Sambal : sambal belachan that was so very spicy....
Chicken : small and too dry
Veggies : Pucuk Cantik Manis, cucumber slices and cabbage. Oh yes, the cabbage was not fresh and had bruises on.
Presentation : The chicken was served in a woven-like basket that is layered with a piece of brown paper. 3 stars


3. HANIIS BISTRO.


Rice : They use 'beras wangi' - fragrant rice
Sambal : sambal belachan that was moderately spicy....
Chicken : good portion, moderate
Veggies : Fried beancurd, cucumber slices, lettuce and cabbage. I noticed that the cabbage was fresh and sweet.
Presentation : The chicken was served in a banana leaf-like green plate. They even prepare hand washing teapot. Easier to eat Ayam Penyet with fingers. 4 stars


4. KWALI KITCHEN


Rice : They use 'beras wangi' - fragrant rice AND SOME FRIED ONION SPRINKLED on the rice which made it more appetizing to enjoy!
Sambal : sambal belachan that was moderately spicy and smooth. Apparently they blended the sambal. Yum yum!
Chicken : good portion, but the rice amount was too small.
Veggies : Okra (blanched Ladies Finger), Pucuk Cantik Manis, cucumber slices and cabbage.
Presentation : Everything is placed neatfully on a plate. 5 stars for them!


I still have a few more places to try like Gamelan, Chilli Peppers etc that serve this Nasi Ayam Penyet. Penyet is 'penyek' in Indonesian language. The right way to prepare the chicken is to de-skin the chicken and season it with the right 'bumbu' (ingredients). It will then fried till dry and by using 'cobek' or 'ulek-ulek' (Indonesian version of pestle and mortar (lesung batu)), pressed the chicken slightly and serve!

Ulek-Ulek


Yum yum... I'm drooling now... hahahaha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger