tattoos

Monday, October 12, 2009

Radio Days

There's not many things in life I love. Sure. There's a lot of things I like. But I really don't have a strong feeling about very many things.

However, one thing I do have a great passion for is .... radio. I have no idea why but I do. I remember my parents had a radio that looked sort of like this when I was a child.



I always remember having a TV around but, for some reason, the radio seemed more authoritative. I remember listening to a radio in the kitchen or upstairs. When I got a little older, I remember always having a radio in the barn when I milked cows or on the fender of a tractor when I was in the field.

Of course, transistor radios were pretty special when I was in school. Listening to the top 40 was, well, just a part of life. The idea of not having a radio was, well, unthinkable.



Now, 40 or 50 years later, I still have a radio in my bedroom and I always listen to it when I go to bed. Several years ago I got a radio I really liked -- it was a combination record player, cd player, cassette tape player and a radio. It was made by Crosley. It looked identical to this.



A couple of weeks ago the volume knob broke. Not wanting to buy another one, I contacted the Crosley Radio Company and they said to mail it to them along with a check for $45. So, I did.

Today I was shocked to get a large UPS package delivered to my door. In the box was a brand new Crosley 73-3 unit -- the same combination radio unit I had sent them except brand new!



I was shocked. At first I thought it was the radio I had sent to them - just packed really nicely. But then I saw a remote control - which I never had - and it was obvious this radio was brand new. They must have figured it would be easier to just send me a new radio rather than try to fix the old one.



So I am taking my hat off to Crosley Radio of Louisville, Kentucky and saying a big THANK YOU! to them.



In this day and age of fancy flat screen TVs and high definition this and that and DVDs and high tech -- it is wonderful to know that there is still a company out there that continues to make such things as radios and record players.



I like new things that have bells and whistles and the latest gadgets -- but I still love the old fashioned radio and record player. Some things are too good to change.

Thank you to the Crosley Radio Company!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger