tattoos

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Peace or Piece? by Kelly Kuvakas

It was another Saturday morning here in Keramoti...we were headed to the little pastry shop to have tyropita (tea-ROW-peet-ah) and cappucino. The walk takes all of 10 minutes at a very leisurely pace, which seems to be our new speed.

Along the way we saw the fruit truck that makes its usual rounds through the neighborhood.


It had already made its first pass much earlier, interrupting our slumber with its speakers blaring the driver's declarations of fruits available...all of it in Greek, with a very monotone delivery, aiding the ability to fall back into dreamland.

We arrived at our cafe, eager to try something different than the cream filled pastry we had the first week and the egg/bacon filled one we had last week, but neither of us wanted spinach (bleh!). Feta filled, it was! (Although in a moment of weakness, I ordered a small portion of cream filled, sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon.)


Awaiting our cappucinos, we had the usual Saturday morning argument...or was it a spirited Greek conversation?


You see, John and I hear sounds in the Greek language differently. When speaking it back to each other, John likes to correct me. (I'm sure I correct him too, but that's not where I'm going at the moment.) Now, even in REAL life, I do not like being corrected...can you spell p-r-i-d-e? Last week I had burst out in frustration some lovely, godly comment similar to "Why do you always have to correct me?".

Communication is important; good communication with love is critically important.

We're learning to speak the truth in love to each other... Come on now - or "ela!", as the Greeks would say - who else do we have to talk to?

This week the wisdom of God prevailed as the correction flowed. Instead of walking in offense at John's correction, I walked inside to the cafe owner and asked whether the word for the pastry started with an "E", like John heard it or a "D", like I heard it.

What a hoot! We both were wrong! It begins with a "T"!

Praise God for the opportunity for humility and humor!

Colossians 3:12, 13 says:

So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.


Our God is very, very gracious to us. What patient love He has for us. These are not new verses to learn, just new circumstances to practice them in.



So, both of us corrected, we laughed together, sipped together, supped together, down to the last bites of our "T"yropita.

We've learned that the last piece on a plate is called "the piece of shame".


Have you noticed how we all defer to one another in taking the last piece of anything on a plate? It usually sits, alone and in shame, seemingly unwanted...

Each person, in a great act of kindness, prompts the other, saying "Eat, Eat!", all while our eyes betray our lust for the last morsel.

I took the last piece of cream filled. The feta cheese filled one remained, shamefully alone.

(*I neglected to say that the same week I had my outburst, Yes, the very same week, God in His grace, opened my eyes to see the cafe owner taking a phone call that seemed to upset her. When John made a trip for the bathroom, I went into the shop and asked, in English mixed with pantomime, if I could pray for her. She pointed to her Christian wall hanging, indicating her questioning who my faith was in and with a smile and a nod, I was cleared to pray - I prayed that the God of all comfort would comfort her. This began a relationship of grunts and smiles and attempts to communicate. But I had a plan...)

This week, before we strolled home, John and I went inside together, to wish a Greek blessing on the dear ladies who had served us each week. (I had looked it up on the internet and John and I had practiced saying it the night before!)


On our happy way home, we passed the countless people headed for the ferry to Thassos and its crowded beaches.





We too, are headed for the beach...on beautiful, quiet - except for the fruit man - Keramoti. We should arrive there in ten minutes or so.

Best blessings to you, on your Saturday with the ones you love and the One who loved us first.

KK
*Eph 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Author's note: quick revision made 8/1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger