tattoos

Sunday, January 3, 2010

American Graffiti

In 1973 I saw a movie I will never forget. It was one of those movies that seemed to reach out and pull you into a life you had actually lived yourself. It was American Graffiti.



The story focuses on two young men who are headed off to college the following morning. Curt (Richard Dreyfus) is the character I related to most closely. He was pretty confused about whether he should leave his home town and friends and go off to college.



Curt's sister, Laurie (Cindy Williams) is dating Steve (Ronnie Howard). Steve is also pretty confused about whether to leave for college.



My favorite interplay is between Terry and Debbie. Terry is known as Toad -- but he tells the older and far more experienced Debbie his buddies call him Tiger. She has a car and the two of them ride around all night. I had a few experiences with a girl like Debbie and, well, it was quite enlightening to put it mildly. I probably better not say any more about that topic (but I sure do remember...!).



Mackenzie Phillips plays a young girl, Carol, who rides around in a hot rod owned by John Milner (Paul Le Mat). John will eventually race a car driven by Harrison Ford's character. I had a very close friend who reminded me exactly of John Milner.



As with most memories, they get better with time. I have lots of good memories of high school and found it hard to leave my little world to go off to college. As I watched this movie I could think of friends I knew who were like various characters in this film.

I suppose that is why it is such a good movie. It is like traveling back in time and reliving a simpler time.

If you have two minutes, here's a song from that era. It is called Denise and is performed by Randy and the Rainbows. I especially like this 1963 song as I drove a 1963 Super Sport Chevy Impala for many, many years.



Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger